Monday, August 15, 2011

The Sloppy Bob


Named after my favorite New Englander, I give you...The Sloppy Bob.
Why should Joe have all the fun? Bob is my best friend's father. I used to call her and I'd stay on the phone with her dad for an hour before I thought to ask for her. When I close my eyes and picture him, I hear seagulls when he speaks. But of course, he also gets along famously with my Chinese mom. Bob taught me how to snake a clogged tub drain and introduced me to fried Ipswich Clams. Yes, I love the man and attempt to do him justice here.

We start with two soft rolls that are toasted and slather them with homemade cayenne mayonnaise. Then last night's leftovers (lobster meat & shrimp) are sautéed in oil and butter, garlic, onions, white wine, and parsley. This is nestled in a bed of shredded lettuce, julienned cucumbers, and tomatoes. Divine.

My mayo:
Everyone should learn to whip up a quick batch of mayonnaise. It takes a few seconds. Just start with an egg yolk in a small bowl. Add some spices (I used cayenne, mustard, salt & pepper), and whisk like mad while adding tiny drizzles of oil (I used olive!). Yum!

No comments: